Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Benefits of Almonds in Ayurveda

When I was pregnant with my first child my grandmother told me to soak 10 raw almonds every night, peel them in the morning and eat them with my breakfast.  This would nourish my nervous system, balance my vata, strengthen my memory and make my baby healthy and intelligent. It was through my formal studies in Ayurveda did I realise how true this knowledge was. For the elders in most Asian families these rituals weren't great science, it was just simple living to maintain health and wellbeing that was passed from generation to generation. 


When consumed in moderation, up to ten nuts a day, almonds provide essential proteins and Vitamin E for the body. They are rich in magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and manganese. 

What does an almond do?

Sweet almonds which possess a mild sweet taste and hot potency are the best for pacifying Vata dosha (Air-element) in the human body. As per the science of Ayurveda, almonds lubricate the skin and support all the seven dhatus (tissues), especially Shukra dhatu(reproductive tissues) and the Ojas (the overall vitality). However due to their heavy nature, one needs a strong jataara agni (digestive fire), to metabolize them. 

The best way to eat almonds.

Buy whole almonds, blanch and peel. Soaking also helps their digestibility. If eaten without soaking, they can aggravate Pitta in the blood. The best way to prepare them is to soak them overnight and peel the skin off in the morning. 

Morning Almond smoothie :  blend soaked peeled almond with dates and raisins.  Energy and nourishment in cup. Awesome for children. 


No comments:

Post a Comment